Friday 30 March 2012

DSDN 171 Blog 2: Research Statement and Annotated Bibliography

My research field is on Gothic Revival in England on 19 century.

Bibliography of 5 different source types:

Book with single author:
Brooks, C. (1999). The gothic revival. London : Phaidon, 1999.

I found this book in school library that is an excellent introduction to the Gothic Revival. Author had descriped a comprehensive from the Gothic revival began to rise in 17th century to theme park architecture of the late twentieth century. For me, this book provides a very complete Gothic Revival background so that I can better understand.

Journal article:
Novak, S. (2011) Gothic: A Shape-Shifting Word. Calliope, 22(2), 30-35

I am pretty enjoyed reading this article because it is structured very well and gives some new ideas of explanation of Gothic Revival. This really helps me to inspire my inspiration instead of letting me hovering in the old ideas.
  
Edited book:
Drakakis, J. (Ed) and Townshend, D. (Ed). (2008). Gothic Shakespeares. New York : Routledge

The book focuses on introduction to the gothic writings of Shakespeare. Even this book did not relate to the areas of England Gothic Revival, but it makes sense as the original Gothic literature. When the word sense like nocturnal world, ghost, crime and death through the whole book that was let me felt not so abstract to imagine Gothic.

Website:
Victorian England: Gothic Revival (Neo-Gothic). (n.d.) Retrieved [March 30, 2012] from http://www.buffaloah.com/a/archsty/gothic/index.html#Br

Introduce of the origin of Victorian Gothic Revival concisely. Introduction of a representative figure of promoting the Gothic Revival and the influential theorist and designer A.W.N Pugin (1812-52). It will be useful in my article when I want to give some examples to support my point of view.

Image:
Bodoklecksel. Reims Cathedral (2006). own foto. Retrieved [March 30, 2012] from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Reims_Kathedrale.jpg

Reims Cathedral showing the main feature of Gothic Architecture. Its features include the pointed arch, the ribbed vault and the flying buttress. Gothic architecture is most familiar as the architecture of many of the great cathedrals, abbeys and churches of Europe.


No comments:

Post a Comment